Hospice Needs Volunteers
Volunteers bring invaluable assistance to our organization and the people we serve.Whether providing companionship to a person in the final months and weeks of life, offering support to family members and caregivers, or helping with community outreach, the contribution of volunteers is essential to the success of our program. We rely on volunteers to provide excellent end-of-life care to each patient and their family. Every volunteer brings the gift of themselves and the richness of the life they have lived. Being a hospice volunteer, allows you to gain great personal satisfaction by knowing that you made an impact in another person’s life.
Opportunities for Volunteers
As a hospice volunteer you will be given choices as to how much and what types of things you want to do. Volunteers are never asked to do anything they are not comfortable with. We also rely on volunteers to help with admirative work. Some examples of typical volunteer duties are:
- Listening to a patient’s concerns
- Offering a comforting and supportive presence
- Engaging in patient hobbies, board games, or discussing current events
- Running errands or doing light meal preparation for the patient
- Encouraging the patient to share their life story and leave a legacy for their loved ones.
- Providing time for caregivers to take care of themselves and their needs.